I am a missionary in Spain who desires for the power of the Holy Spirit to be unleashed in me, to be unabashed about the love of Christ, and unafraid to go where God calls. These are my stories in this journey of letting God have everything.

16 March 2006

The Incarnation and Jack Johnson

This past Sunday was an incredible day. It started with a core building meeting with the leaders of my church, Oasis Madrid and ended with a concert. During our morning meeting we talked about the incarnation and what it means. It was such a great discussion about how the church, as the body of Christ, is in and of itself the incarnation. What heavy implications that brings!!! We as believers need to be a presence in the community and bring the love of Christ to all we come into contact with. Often times this just means being and loving, what beautiful simplicity.

All of that to say that in the evening a few of us went to the Jack Johnson concert here in Madrid. It is interesting thinking about it now as we had the tickets before the incarnation discussion. While at the concert, I had a plethera of observances. One, there were more North Americans and Brits than I have seen in one place here in Spain. I had to constantly remind myself where I was. Two, wow is it loud and smoky in this bull fighting stadium. Three, there are so many lost people here. And four, how can I love these people with the love of Christ. I think an to answer that last observance is by simply being there and not being ashamed of who Christ has made me. Another way, thanks to Calvin College, is to discern what I was seeing and hearing and thus appreciate the beauty of the music, the gifts that Jack Johnson has been blessed with, and the joy that music brings to so many people. Let me just finish with a line from one of Jack Johnson's songs and you tell me if Christ could possibly speak through this: "Love is the answer at least for most of the questions of my heart...It's always better when we're together!" Thanks for listening to my ramblings, more to come soon!

2 comments:

RC said...

Pretty cool post from Spain!

My wife and I love the Jack Johnson song Better Together and it sounds like a really cool experience you were able to have at the concert...

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

anne said...

Does sound like a very interesting conversation about the incarnation...

Loving following your learning & adventures! :)